What is the Texas Oil & Gas Law Society?
The Oil & Gas Law Society is designed to expose first-year law students to the energy legal community so that they can explore the various career paths and academic issues related to the energy practice.
The Society helps second and third year students with an identified interest in energy law target specific career paths and industry practitioners who can help them jump-start a future career without the added obligations of editing requirements.
Students join the Society to interact socially with the board members and staff editors of TJOGEL, renowned faculty advisors, and a professional board of advisors comprised of the most distinguished oil & gas practitioners in the State of Texas.
Society members receive the same networking opportunities as TJOGEL editors, with the added benefit of a pre-selection spring application process allowing them to become TJOGEL staff editors without the summer write-on requirement.
Society Events and Activities
- Oil, Gas, and Energy Law Symposium – Attend the two-day symposium on current energy topics featuring presentations by prominent practitioners in the industry.
- Spring Banquet – Honor distinguished guest with Ernest E. Smith Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Fall Career Panel – Members gain insight from large firms, litigation boutiques, in-house counsels, small-midsize practices, and government positions.
- Monthly Roundtable Luncheons – Casual environment to gain insight from established industry leaders, including politicians, heads of energy sections, and interest group leaders.
- Networking Events – Happy hours and tailgating events with industry professionals throughout the State of Texas.
- Taco Tuesday – Weekly breakfast tacos in the Journal Office.
- Outline Database – Access to TJOGEL outline database.
Become a Member of the Texas Oil & Gas Law Society
To join, place your contact information (your first and last name, email address, phone number, year in law school and t-shirt size) and a check for $60.00 made payable to Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, & Energy Law in an envelope and title it:
TJOGEL – Law Society
ATTN: Shawn Schmidt
Drop off your envelope at either the TJOGEL mail box at the Communications Desk in the Law School or the TJOGEL Office located at TNH room 4.133
If you have questions, comments, concerns, or would like to follow up on your society status, please contact Shawn Schmidt at email@example.com.